Verify the customer’s age at drop off.
Orders containing alcohol can only be delivered to customers who are 21+ and/or not intoxicated. You must verify the customer’s age using the Grubhub for Drivers app before handing over the alcohol.
It’s easy, here’s how:
- Request to see a government issued photo ID like a state-issued driver’s license or ID, a passport document, or an ID card issued by the Armed Forces of the United States. Confirm that the ID matches what the diner verbally confirmed and that the diner is 21+.
- Check the expiration date on the ID and confirm the customer you’re delivering to matches the photo.
- Use the app to scan the customer’s ID to complete the verification process. If the app won’t scan the ID, you can manually enter the customer’s birthdate as listed on the valid ID.
- Ask the customer to verbally confirm their birthdate.
Make sure an ID is not invalid or fake:
- Check the expiration date. Do not accept an ID that is expired.
- Compare the diner at the door to the photo in the ID. Examine facial features: are the height, eye shape, ear and nose shape or placement similar? Ignore weight, hair and makeup as these may change.
- Feel the edges of the ID – a legitimate ID will have smooth, uniform edges. A fake ID may have rougher edges and perhaps may be coming apart.
- Look for glue lines or bumpy or uneven surfaces. A real ID’s surface should be consistent.
You have the right to refuse to deliver the alcohol if you suspect that a customer is underage, even if they provide an ID that says they are 21+. You have the right to refuse to deliver the alcohol if you suspect that a customer is intoxicated.
Check for Intoxication
Do not deliver alcohol if the diner is visibly intoxicated with any substance (for example, alcohol or cannabis) based on factors you can see, smell, and/or hear.
Here are some signs to help you determine if a person is intoxicated:
- Clumsiness, staggering, unsteady gait
- Poor coordination, slowed reflexes, diminished reaction times
- Bloodshot eyes, impaired tracking ability
- Slurred speech, incoherent speech patterns
- Odor of alcohol on breath
- Poor judgment, risky behavior
- Decreased reasoning ability, forgetfulness
- Exaggerated emotion, excitement, belligerent attitude
- Disheveled clothing, poor personal grooming
- Flushed complexion, sweating